Autumn ~ A Time of Quiet Reflections
I am tremendously proud to say, I am my "father's daughter" ... I love hearing how much I resemble him! It's true ... I take after him in so many ways and am very pleased with the compliment!
Today has been a day spent "reminiscing" about the wonderful man I was blessed to have as my FATHER ... for today is his Birthday and he is truly missed!
favorite photo of Dad, Me & niece, Kimberly Anne ~ 1993
In the evenings we would have tea & a "few" cookies ... especially during those cold New England winters & as we got older and moved out on our own ... we could "bribe" him to help with anything that needed to be done with just a hug, kiss and the promise of tea & a few "more" cookies, than Mom would give him! He loved us all unconditionally and he & Mom raised my brother, sister & I to be the kind of people, they could be proud of.
my brother, sister, Dad & me Christmas ~ 1968
He truly had a way with people ... he was the quite voice that resolved conflict ... always getting things done in a very orderly & calm manner.
He was the voice of reason & everyone went to him for advice ... his handshake & word meant something, he hardly ever raised his voice ... unless to protect his family.
He was strict ... but extremely fair when we were growing up, (the typical "Italian" father) and there were rules to be followed ... and ... if & when he had to discipline us, it broke his heart more to have scolded or punished us (even if we deserved it) ... and we'd have to go to him later, give him a hug and a kiss on his forehead and tell him it was ok ... we were fine and had learned our lesson, because truly the one thing we never wanted to hear was that he was disappointed in us ... that would have broken our hearts! We never went to bed without a kiss goodnight ... I honestly, am so thankful for growing up in a home where you herd "I love you" and got kisses goodnight, every night, unconditionally ... regardless of how old you were!
His patience was endless and as a carpenter ... he always had us following him around trying to help with one thing or another ... which, I'm sure wasn't easy, as he had a million things to get done ... but he let us just the same ... and he continued to teach us thru out adulthood ... yes, he taught us well and although, we may not remember everything he took the time to share ... the memories of our time spent with him are beyond precious!
My brother has pretty amazing carpentry skills & my sister-in-law truly benefits from his being a "jack of all trades" around their lovely home ... even still ... my brother would give Dad a call, just to double check or ask about something he was working on ... The last Christmas Dad was with us, he was busy helping my brother. They were working on the beautiful scroll work for the front porch of his victorian style home in Georgia ... and they were laughing ... because Dad hadn't brought any tools! (guess he didn't know he was going need them) ... which is a joke in our family, cuz he was suppose to always have his tools with him, just in case!
Anyway ... Dad was using a saw he found in my brother's garage and after a little bit ... asked him if he could get his good saw, when my brother replied, "that is my good saw" ... we all cracked up ... then he asked my brother for his miter box ... which of course, there wasn't one ... so Dad say's "that's ok ... I'll make ya one" ... and 'til this day ... my brother values his miter box made from scrap wood, far more than any expensive store bought version! We all have stories of how Dad saved the day and made us laugh with his incredibly huge smile & twinkling eyes!
Dad ~ early 1960's ... no wonder Mom fell for this guy!
A "True Officer & a Gentleman" As a "SeaBee" Construction Unit of the Navy & Recruiting Officer ... He was an incredible leader & respected by his fellow naval officers & troops & worked his way up thru the ranks to become a Chief Petty Officer ... although he went from active duty to the reserves when I was 10 (he served a total of 34 years) ... We loved seeing him all dressed up for his weekend drills, making sure the brim of his hat was all nice & polished and being trusted to hand it to him without any fingerprints ... truly ... we felt like the biggest deals ever!
He was adorable and would "pretend" to be leaving the house to go to work ... let the screen door bang & then wait to see us come running from every direction ... yelling "wait Daddy ... we didn't hug & kiss you goodbye"
Words alone cannot express the love & admiration ... we could always go to him ... no matter what ... he believed in our dreams & lifted our spirits when life's tragedies came crashing down! ... he has always been in our corner & continues to be in our back pockets to guide & protect us ... we are truly saddened by his loss ... We miss his presence in our lives! He was a true friend & always helping someone with something ... always with a smile on his face & a song in his heart ... the best made up songs ever!!
Sadly, he left us very suddenly (6 years ago) due to a heart attack in the middle of the night, one evening late in May ... it was heartbreaking ... no chance to say "goodbye" but ... we were comforted knowing we always said "I LOVE YOU" every time we were together ... at the end of every phone conversation ... there were no doubts about how we all felt, no unresolved issues or conflicts that needed to be cleared up ... our family has been very fortunate in that aspect, of knowing ... always ... no matter what ... we have & always will love and be there for each other and that is a wonderful legacy my Dad has left to his children ... we couldn't ask for anything more!
Mom & Dad ~ Early May 2003 (just a few weeks before he passed away)
We have the most wonderful memories of Mom & Dad dancing in the kitchen, laughing & of Dad singing in the bathroom making up his "wonderful" songs about the days plans ... we couldn't have asked for a better childhood and can only hope to pass the same kinds of "wonderful" memories onto our children!
The quite strength & faith my Mom has is incredible ... she has paved the way for all of us to come to terms with Dad's passing & although we have all been devastated by his loss ... Mom feels it greatly ... for she has truly lost her "soul mate" & beloved and if any of us can have a love & marriage half of what my parents had ... we are indeed very fortunate!
I LOVE & MISS YOU DAD!
God Bless everyone who has lost a dear one may you find contentment in your loving memories ~ xxoo
God Bless everyone who has lost a dear one may you find contentment in your loving memories ~ xxoo



Came by to see what you were up too! Just so beautiful here at your blog! I miss my dad too...he died about 3 years ago out of the blue and didnt even get to see my sons! So sad!!
ReplyDeletecome see me !
xo
Priscila
littlemissheirlooms.blogspot.com
Hi Priscila,
ReplyDeleteSo glad you stopped by ... It's so nice to hear from you! Sorry for not getting back to you sooner ... I've been away visiting family back home in Mass & Georgia for the holidays!
I am sooo sorry to hear about your Dad & that he didn't get to see your boys ... I know how much we miss my Dad ... so I can only imagine your heartache ... I'm sure he would have been an amazing Grampa & would be so proud & LOVE what you've been doing!
I think you're ABSOLUTELY AMAZING & LOVE your BLOG! Take Care & I'll be stopping over to see you soon! xo
Hi Lynn-
ReplyDeleteI was so happy to see that you had stopped by for a visit, I love meeting new friends :) How very sweet of you also to follow :) What a loving tribute to your dad, he sounds like a beautiful man inside and out. How lucky you are to be his daughter :) I was looking through your blog, it is lovely and how FUN it must be to create such wonderful memories for little girls. I think there is a little princess in all of us. I have often wanted to create tea parties for little princesses....how did you start in this business?
Toni
Oh Lynn,
ReplyDeleteThis post was so beautiful...I am truly teary eyed. Even though your loss was six years ago, the empty feeling of not having him within a phone call's reach is still ever present. I know exactly how you feel...I am there, especially having both of my parents gone now.
I'm so glad you found me as you led me here and I've so enjoyed my visit with you. You have a very beautiful blog and I'm looking forward to many more visits with you :)
Happy New Year~
everything vintage
oh and I forgot to tell you...
ReplyDeleteI love your "Grateful List".
I think it's time that I write one for myself!!!
:)
Thank you for the inspiration!!!!